Tuesday, January 10, 2012

My history... Part 2

As Carl Sagan famously said, “Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.” Something I learned to be very true as I got older.

As I entered my first year in high school and made new friends, I found myself with friends that were all very religious and the would not go one day without mentioning God. One of my friends I didn't get along with so well even lived at a church and would basically not be able to stop talking about being so religious.

I soon found myself going to the teens for Christ meeting and even once or twice I went along to the morning prayer sessions. It's not that I wanted to go but rather because I didn't know how to say no to them without seeming horrible. I never found this to be fun in the very least and would normally find myself staring out the window admiring my crush outside. My high school years past quickly and I started my tenth year in another new school. My grade 10 year was probably the most boring school year I ever had.

Now we get to the revolutionary part when I started my 11th year. For the first time ever I had my own laptop which was my gateway to research and everything else I wanted. I started to find my passion for science and could simply not stop doing research about it, you could almost call me obsessed. I found myself asking many question about the bible, god and religion because it all seemed to contradict the one thing we had more than enough evidence for Science. No one could answer my questions and simply told me to ignore it, but I couldn't so I went to ask my trusted friend, Google.Then I stumbled upon yahoo answers and found some people debating about Religion. This is when I added a new word to my vocabulary "Atheist ". My natural curiosity made me look up the definition and what I found was absurd to me at that time. I mean people not believing in god, they must be mad, no wait crazy, I could  not believe there were people that didn't believe in God. WOW. Is all I could say but then I found my curiosity tempting me to find argument for religion, proof of god. I wanted to learn and I had an alarming thirst for more knowledge. I guess I was fortunate to have been quit open minded and that was the very source that prompted me to do research on both sides. I soon learned that the bible and everything religious made no sense and dared to argue with my hero Charles Darwin the very man to have come to tell us how we evolved.

 As time went on I found religion getting more and more ridiculous to me and I found myself quickly drawn to be more agnostic. Then I realized something, something almost revolutionary that every religious written website simply ignored various facts. When I started to find my own holes in religion I relished how ridiculous it all was and myself to now be an Atheist.

One of my favorite website which simply read my mind was "50 reasons god is imaginary" http://godisimaginary.com/ .

I now faced an whole year since about March full of prayer and many other religious things which I had no interested in but I still respected it at respectfully pretended to pray.

Tomorrow I embark on my last year of high school and it will be a long one as not only an atheist but also as I am the exact opposite of any teenager.

I enjoy writing this because it's the only way I can say what I want because here there is no one willing to listen to my story.

No comments:

Post a Comment